Use the following resource to assist you in completing Part A of your Mission Trip assignment.
Imagine that you are planning to conduct a mission trip in 5 years. You should select a specific mission for this project to provide some kind of humanitarian aid to the target population. Many people choose to include evangelism as a part of their mission, though the main goal must be humanitarian. The mission goal may include providing education, medical assistance, clean water, food, or aid.
To keep your mission reasonable, in scale and goal, design your mission to include yourself and 5 – 10 other participants and to be 2 – 4 weeks in duration. Because the mission group is small and the duration is not long, consider goals that can reasonably be accomplished within the allotted time. Choose a small target population for your mission. For example, if you want to bring medicine to two small villages in Peru, the villagers are your target population. It is not reasonable to try to bring medicine to the entire population of Peru with a small group of missionaries on a month long trip.
Choose three countries from the Country Data Spreadsheet provided in the Course Materials that you would consider going to for your mission trip. Research each country using The World Factbook found on the Central Intelligence Agency website at https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/, other resources such as the U.S. Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english.html, and the GCU Library. Consider economic reasons for choosing these countries, and safety concerns that may be relevant to these countries and your mission goals. Remember that you would not go alone on this trip and you are responsible for the safety of the other participants, in addition to your own.
Write a 400–600 word narrative describing your mission and why the three chosen countries are appropriate for your mission. Specifically, address the following in your assignment:
1) What is the purpose of your mission trip? In general, mission trips fall into three categories – providing aid in the form of supplies, providing education, and providing services such as medical clinics and building houses.
2) What is the target population? How does it compare with the entire population and what will it look like in 5 years? This will require use of the population information available from The World Factbook in conjunction with the information in Chapter 8 and Chapter 9 of the text.
You are required to discuss your target population and its projected size in 5 years. This material is covered on pp. 480 – 483. Assume that the annual growth rate of the target population is the same as that of the country’s total population growth rate and that it will remain consistent at the most recent rate available. Show your work for all calculations using the Equation Editor in Microsoft Word.
Example: Suppose you have $39,815.00 invested at 8% APR over 5 years and the interest is compounded once per year. The formula for the final value of your investment from p. 216 of your textbook gives
This is how your math should be formatted. See Part B instructions for other examples.
While this is a fun project, the goal is to assess the mathematics you are learning, so you must include your calculations, make sure they are correct and clearly written.
3) What are the economic reasons for choosing these countries? Use economic information you find in The World Factbook and other resources.
4) Why are the countries you chose are good candidates for a mission trip?
5) What are possible safety concerns that might arise in conjunction with your trip? Conduct additional research as necessary to address this concern. The U.S. State Department website is one source of information.
6) Include a paragraph in which you decide which one of the three countries to choose to complete the mission. Apply logical reasoning to make your choice. The logic you use in making these decisions must be clearly explained. Explain why that country is a more appropriate candidate than the other two countries.
Include three or more scholarly resources, including the textbook and The World Factbook.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the GCU Style Guides and Templates, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.