Final Project Information POWER POINT Psychology
Chapter 12 provides an explanation of how psychological disorders are defined according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders fifth edition (DSM-5). For this final project, Select one psychological disorder and develop a PowerPoint presentation using the following guidelines: (book previously uploaded)
Your presentation should answer the following questions and prompts:
1. What is the disorder and how is it defined according to the American Psychological Association (APA)?
2. What is the evidence of the disorder? What are the symptoms or diagnostic criteria according to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) IV? Has the diagnostic criteria changed in the DSM V?
3. What are the required tests, exams, etc. used to diagnose the disorder?
4. What are the causes of the disorder: genetics, biology, environment, situational, etc.?
5. How is the disorder treated? Identify past and current drugs, therapeutic modalities, etc. used to treat the disorder.
6. What is the probable outcome or prognosis? Is it possible to eliminate the disorder? Can the disorder be prevented?
7. Are there specific populations, cultures, or age and gender features indigenous to the disorder?
8. Identify famous people that have been “professionally” diagnosed with the disorder.
9. Are there any personal examples of family members, friends, or acquaintances with the disorder that you would like to share in presentation? (optional)
10. Identify two recent legal cases that involve the disorder.
11. Identify two movie examples, two books or articles, and two other media (pamphlets, handouts, websites, etc.) that “accurately” reflect the disorder.
12. Identify two local resources that support and/or treat individuals diagnosed with the disorder.
13. Identify current research regarding the treatment of the disorder.
3 pages. All Original Content. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Support your statements with examples. Provide a minimum of THREE scholarly references, And No References More Than Five (5) Years Old.
In addition, every paragraph must be cited. In other words, at the end of each paragraph please show where the information came from – This is a must with this paper! Thank you.
Nuclear medicine is a specialized branch of modern medicine that exploits the process of radioactivity for imaging, diagnosis, and treatment. Many imaging techniques inject small amounts of radioactive material into the body, which are then tracked by a sensing device specific to the type of radiation emitted from that material. Radiation has also been used to destroy diseased tissue, typically beyond the reach of standard surgical techniques.
Write a paper on nuclear medicine and address the following:
First, Explain the scientific and technical concepts related to nuclear medicine. Consider the following questions when you construct your response:
– What type of radiation is typically exploited in most nuclear medicine procedures?
– How are patients prepared for nuclear medicine procedures?
– What are the advantages and limitations of nuclear medicine?
– What ailments are typically diagnosed and treated via nuclear medicine procedures?
Second, Evaluate what GAMMA KNIFE SURGERY IS AND/OR WHAT IT PROMISES TO BE, And a minimum of two, below listed, applications of nuclear medicine relating to any of the following topics:
– Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans
– Gallium scans
– Indium white blood cell scans
– Iobenguane scans (MIBG)
– Octreotide scans
– Hybrid scanning techniques employing X-ray computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
– Nuclear medicine therapy using radiopharmaceuticals
Application 1: Nursing Informatics Pioneers
One of the major drivers in recent health care reform legislation is the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act’s (ARRA) HiTech Incentive. This act, passed in 2009, earmarked $22 billion for the adoption of electronic health records (EHRs), with a goal of 100% adoption in all practice settings by the year 2014. The HiTech Act provides an example of the pivotal role that health information technology plays in the delivery of quality health care services. Yet, health information technology is a relatively new field. This Application Assignment provides an opportunity for you to examine the contributions of pioneers in this arena and consider how their contributions have influenced health informatics and nursing practice today.
• Visit the AMIA Video Library 1: Nursing Informatics Pioneers webpage listed in the Learning Resources.
• Review the biographies and video presentations of pioneers who are of interest to you, or may hold a position that you aspire to achieve.
• Select two nursing informatics pioneers and conduct further research on their contributions.
• Consider how their contributions have influenced health information technology and nursing practice today.
Write a scholarly 3- to 4-page paper comparing two nursing informatics pioneers in APA format with a minimum of 4 references from the list below which include the level one headings as numbered below:
1) What are the professional accomplishments of each individual?
2) How have their contributions influenced nursing practice?
3) How have their contributions shaped the field of nursing informatics?
4) What lessons can you take away from their experiences?
5) What skills or ideas demonstrated by these leaders might you apply to your professional practice?
. Many drugs have been used for medical purposes at one time or another. Aside from Marijuana, pick two currently illicit drugs that have been previously utilized in a legal medical capacity and explain the medical rationale behind their use. Conclude your answer with a description of why each drug was later banned from medical usage.
2. Discuss the difference between instrumental and recreational use of drugs. In your discussion include at least one licit and one illicit drug.
3. In the video “Poverty in Chicago” (Module 2) heroin is depicted as a pronounced inner city problem. Present at least one explanation of this phenomenon using one of the sociological perspectives on drug use found in Chapter 5 of the Levinthal text (4th ed, starting on p. 90).
4. Drug abuse is typically associated with depressed inner city areas, but methamphetamine is very much a problem in rural areas. Discuss the reasons methamphetamine is equally or more prevalent than other illicit drugs in areas outside America’s inner cities.
5. Explain the drug Salvia divinorum. Include in your discussion: its history, effects and potency, accessibility, what the DEA has said about this drug, any toxicity concerns, and the results of a 2013 Michigan survey. Based on what you’ve learned about Salvia, should the criminal justice system be concerned about this drug in the future? Explain why or why not.
6. Discuss the specific adverse effects of marijuana on driving skills. Conclude your discussion by offering your view to the following: based on what is known, should DUI include driving under the influence of marijuana? Explain why or why not.
Project Outline Part 1
Write a 350 word outline including your introduction and three reference resources to be used. The outline should be detailed to reflect your position in the paper. (see Unit 4 Assignment below)
Part 2 (Unit 4 assignment)
Write a 15 page paper (including title and reference page). Your written assignments must follow APA guidelines. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the week’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Pocket Guide to APA Style to ensure in-text citations and reference list are correct.
In 1972 marijuana was placed in Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act as such the US government considered it to have not accepted medical use in treatment. Currently 14 states of the 50 states have enacted protections to citizens using marijuana for medical purpose. In this assignment, you will consider federal legislation on this important issue. The issue before Congress is whether to continue the federal prosecution of medical marijuana patients and their providers in accordance with the federal Controlled Substance Act or to permit the use of marijuana when recommended by a physician.
Your paper should do the following:
1. State your position. Your position should take that is opposite to your personal views.
2. Discuss the context of this legislation – name the expected demanders and suppliers as outlined in our textbook, Chapter 3.
3. Describe the expected interest groups and there specific arguments
4. Describe the expected interplay between demanders and suppliers, interest groups and analyze the public policy environment.
5. State your strategic policy to enhance or diffuse results of public policy environment.
A: If you choose to write on genetic medicine pick one of the following. If you choose 1-4 then be sure to situate your analysis within an ethical framework.
1. Genetic information and technology have opened a new vista for testing and screening. Prepare a seminar for prospective parents on what is the benefits and risks of having genetic testing or screening done, for whom, and when.
2. For breast cancer diagnosis and treatment it has become standard of care to get a gene expression profile of the tumor. Explain the way the tumor is analyzed genetically and what the advantage and disadvantages are.
3. Whole genome sequencing is more affordable and available through commercial sources. What are the ethical considerations in ordering a WGS?
4. Detecting genetic mutations that cause disease or disability drives the desire for testing and screening and has ignited a lot of excitement about the possibilities of gene therapy. Compare and contrast genetic therapy at somatic vs germline stage.
B. Ethical analysis of research conduct is aimed at reducing or preventing misconduct. How and to what extent can ethical behavior be taught to graduate students in science? (The short question is: Can Ethics be Taught?)
C. Ethical conduct in clinical research is described in the common rule, following the principles of the Belmont Report (autonomy, beneficence, and justice). When clinical trials are simultaneously conducted in foreign countries, the CIOMS and Helsinki Accord apply although US researchers must also comply with the Common Rule. Analyze the guidelines (rules) governing clinical trials as a path to ethical conduct. (Short form: do rules ensure ethical conduct?)
Analyze health needs, disparities, and healthcare delivery systems within the context of cultural, social, legal, political, and economic forces.
You have recently been promoted to Health Services Manager at Three Mountains Regional Hospital, a small hospital located in a mid-size city in the Midwest. Three Mountains is a general medical and surgical facility with 400 beds. Last year there were approximately 62,000 emergency visits and 15,000 admissions. More than 6,000 outpatient and 10,000 inpatient surgeries were performed.
After the first series of training, your CEO decided that employees would benefit from an online self-check after completing the training. You are tasked with developing a PowerPoint presentation with a list of questions that ask about liability protections for the physicians and the facility. Correct answers should be provided in the notes so that employees can check their responses.
Please prepare a PowerPoint presentation (or feel free to use other shareable Webware/software that you prefer) with questions that check employee understanding about the liability protections for physicians and the facility.
1. The PowerPoint presentation should be a minimum of 8 slides and a maximum of 12. (Here is a library resource for help creating a PowerPoint presentation.)
2. On each slide, provide a question that can be utilized to ascertain basic understanding. Open-ended questions are preferable.
3. Use the notes area on each slide to provide the answer with a thorough explanation of why that answer is correct.
4. Include a slide that provides links to 3-5 resources for employees who want more information.
5. Your final slide should be the reference page for sources cited in the Notes.
Explain the basic models of quality improvement in healthcare.
Chaparral Regional Hospital is a small, urban hospital of approximately 60 beds, and offers the following:
• Emergency room services
• Intensive care
• Surgical care
• Diagnostic services
• Some rehabilitation therapies
• Inpatient pharmacy services
• Geriatric services
• Consumer physician referral services
Recently, the CEO has been hearing complaints from both patients and staff, varying from long wait times to rude physicians. You have been hired to design and implement a Quality Improvement Plan to help uncover quality problems and to satisfactorily resolve them.
The CEO has met with you to let you know that some members of the Board of Directors are questioning the value of developing a quality improvement plan. She has asked you to create an executive summary and an information sheet to be included in the next Board packet.
Topics for the executive summary should include:
1. What is a Quality Improvement plan?
2. Why do healthcare facilities create improvement plans?
3. Why would you recommend the facility create and implement a QI plan?
After completing the Executive Summary, you will create a one-page information sheet for the Board that they can use to answer questions about QI plans.
1. The information sheet should give your CEO and the Board of Directors enough information to have an educated conversation with patients and other stakeholders on the value of QI plans.
2. Make sure to use audience-specific language and tone on your information sheet. Remember, you are writing this information sheet for your CEO and the Board of Directors.
3. Be creative, and make your information sheet fun and organized.
Develop a report of 10–12 pages detailing how information technology systems can be used to analyze organizational data for a health care organization.
This should include types of systems where data may be retrieved and how IT and various applications can be used to aggregate and analyze the data to understand issues, identify root causes, and document progress related to implemented changes, patient progress, quality assurance, and compliance.
Make sure to address the following questions:
• With plenty of data stored on computer systems, data should not be a problem, but access to the data and sharing of information may have implications under federal regulations. What precautions might you suggest when handling health care data? Be sure to apply current trends in health care from proven sources and models.
• Consider the support capabilities of a typical health care operation and where employees may access data of various types related to patient needs. What might be accessed, and what controls may be needed to protect patient data?
• From a departmental perspective, consider the role of the health information manager (HIM). What qualifications and experience would be needed for your specific health care setting? What functions and role would the HIM have in regard to this organization’s medical records?
• As technology advances, what compliance issues and regulations do health care managers at this organization need to be on top of? Consider the impact of falling behind the technology curve not only in terms of productivity but regulatory compliance. What role do the Affordable Care and Patient Protection Acts have on the implementation and use.
Summarize how the use of an evaluation is an essential indicator of organizational health.
Measurement and Reporting
This week you will wrap up your learning from this term. You will assume the role of an evaluator for your workplace or one in which you are familiar. You will draft a progress report that includes measures and reports. Your work will describe and assess the plan for the acceptance and use of an evaluation system and/or scorecard. In addition, you will choose an evaluation system that you feel is best suited for the work environment. Your paper will determine the stage of development for the evaluation system and will provide an analysis and recommendation plan for improving the evaluation system within the workplace. In conclusion, summarize how the use of an evaluation is an essential indicator of organizational health.
The requirements below must be met for your paper to be accepted and graded:
· Write at least 4 pages using Microsoft Word in APA style, see example below.
· Use font size 12 and 1” margins.
· Include cover page and reference page.
· At least 80% of your paper must be original content/writing.
· No more than 20% of your content/information may come from references.
· Use at least three references from outside the course material, one reference must be from EBSCOhost. Text book, lectures, and other materials in the course may be used, but are not counted toward the three reference requirement.
· Cite all reference material (data, dates, graphs, quotes, paraphrased words, values, etc.) in the paper and list on a reference page in APA style.